Mileage will be reimbursed for the round-trip distance between the employee’s regular assigned location and the location of the business function being attended. If employees depart from or return to their home instead of their work site, only the miles in excess of the normal daily commute can be claimed as an expense.
Other expenses such as parking will be reimbursed at the actual costs. Original, itemized receipts must be provided.
Employees must document their travel on the Mileage Reimbursement Form.
An employee travels from the main office to a meeting at Hubbs Center. The employee then stops for lunch on the way to another meeting at Rondo Library. Finally, the employee returns to the main office. The entire mileage for this trip can be reimbursed.
An employee travels from home to a conference and back to home again. The total trip (RT) was 65 miles. The employee’s normal commute (RT) is 10 miles. In this case 55 miles can be reimbursed.
An employee travels from the main office to attend meetings at several locations and then returns home. The normal commute is 5 miles one-way. Mileage reimbursement would be 25 miles which is calculated as follows:
- Trip 1 – main office to location A 10 miles reimbursed
- Trip 2 – location A to location B 15 miles reimbursed
- Trip 3 – location B to home 2 miles not reimbursed
Allowable Mileage Expenses
Examples of allowable business purposes include:
- Travel between RCCDC sites
- Site visits
- Work-related errands (post office, office supply store, etc)
- Classes and workshops if job related and approved by the supervisor
Unallowable Mileage Expenses
Examples of unallowable business purposes include:
- Commuting between home and the work site
- Elective continuing education
A complete and accurate Mileage Reimbursement Form must be submitted monthly.
Forms will be reviewed by the employee’s supervisor and submitted to the Accounting Department
Documenting the Location
Enter the location name in the “to” and “from” columns:
- If the location is an RCCDC site, then no further information is necessary;
- If the location is an infrequent destination then enter the address or street intersection and the city;
- If the location is a frequent destination then enter the program name only and provide the address in the “additional information” section of the Mileage Reimbursement Form.